Scholarships for Victorians working in Victorian businesses to undertake intensive language study at nominated universities or institutions in China, Indonesia, Japan and Korea.
Please note: the Victorian Government will continue to monitor the COVID-19 outbreak and will provide advice as appropriate to successful applicants.
To find out more, download and read the flyer:
- Hamer Scholarships Flyer (PDF 91.06 KB)
- Hamer Scholarships Flyer - Accessible version (DOCX 876.66 KB)
At a glance
The Victorian Government Hamer Scholarships Program is a language, cultural immersion and business engagement program that builds the Asia capabilities of Victorians and Victorian businesses.
Language study scholarships up to $15,000 at an approved institution.
Please see below for full candidate and employer eligibility criteria.
Get in touch with the Hamer Scholarships team on 0476 858 099 for more information.
The program has been revamped in 2020 with a sharpened business focus, supporting Victorian businesses to strengthen their Asia-engagement.
Hamer Scholarship recipients undertake 5-6 months of intensive language study in China, Japan, Korea or Indonesia while delivering an in-market business project that progresses the market development and/or export objectives of their employer in the chosen market.
What you get
The Hamer Scholarships Program provides $10,000 scholarships for China and Indonesia and $15,000 scholarships for Japan and Korea for 5-6 months (minimum) language study at an approved institution.
The Scholarship supports recipients to develop their Asian language skills, cultural competency, professional networks and market knowledge – assisting businesses to build the people-to-people contacts and market insights needed for doing business with Asia.
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident who is a resident of Victoria. Victorians living, working or studying in China, Indonesia, Japan or Korea may also be considered, however, preference will be given to those currently residing in Victoria. Proof of age, citizenship or permanent residency is required and will only be accepted in the form of passport identification and permanent residency documentation
- Be employed and endorsed by a Victorian business that meets the Employer Eligibility criteria.
- Be aged 21 or above at the time of completing the application.
- Have at least three years of professional employment in their current field.
- Be willing to study a language at a nominated institution for a minimum duration of 5-6 months. Alternative universities, institutions or non-language courses will not be considered.
- Be willing to complete an in-market business project that is endorsed by the candidate’s employer.
- Not be in receipt of any other grant, funding or scholarship for study in the elected country
- Agree to participate in future program evaluation activity for up to 5 years.
- Be a legally structured business registered in Victoria with an Australian Business Number (ABN). (Businesses that are not registered in Victoria but have a significant operating presence in Victoria may also be deemed eligible and will be assessed on a case-by-case basis).
- Meet all industrial relations obligations as an employer in accordance with the National Employment Standards .
- Have an operating presence in Victoria .
- Have a trading history of at least two years.
- Be engaged in or seeking to engage in market development and/or export activity with the nominated Scholarship country .
- Be willing to develop and endorse an in-market business project with the candidate.
- Agree to participate in future program evaluation activity
For more information on eligible language institutes and selection criteria, please download and read the guidelines:
- Hamer Scholarships Program Guidelines (PDF 302.41 KB)
- Hamer Scholarships Program Guidelines - Word accessible version (DOCX 87.24 KB)
Program Manager - Global Engagement, Global Victoria
Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR)
Tel: +61 3 9651 7628
Application opening dates
Applications are now open and will close at 11.59pm on 29 March 2020.