On this page
- Talk to your employer
- Contact Centrelink
- Find resources to help
If you are currently facing a retrenchment, use this checklist as a guide and find Business in Transition support resources to help you through the process.
Talk to your employer
- Obtain a separation certificate
- Make sure you know what the retrenchment procedure is
- Make sure you know what the required notice period is and what (if any) your payment entitlements are.
It is important to remember that redundancy payments are designed to provide you with enough money to cover the cost of living for a period of time after you leave work.
If you receive a redundancy payment, you may be subject to a waiting period before you can get an income support payment from Centrelink. This period is usually the length of time the redundancy covers.
Before you take any action with your redundancy payment, make sure you check the terms of your redundancy package, including the period of time the payment is supposed to cover.
Talk to Centrelink before making financial decisions. Contact Centrelink's free Financial Information Service on 13 23 00 for more advice. You may wish to:
- register for support from Centrelink to help you through the transition period
- inquire about free financial counselling to ensure you are aware of any delays in Centrelink payments due to your redundancy payment.
Find resources to help
Use the Business in Transition Support resources for employees facing retrenchment. You will find help with the following:
- Financial advice and support
- Get help to find a job
- Get further training
- Local support
Business in Transition Support
13 22 15 (local call)