On this page
- Leverage internet-based technology
- Capitilise on your green credentials
- Prepare your emergency plan
September is a great month to future proof your business with a focus on improving your product offering and service capabilities.
Review your use of internet-based technology
Internet technology can improve your profitability and productivity, and drive your brand and reputation into global markets.
How to review your internet-based technology
- Make a list of all internet-based technology available and compare this to the technology used in your business.
- Analyse internet-based technologies that your competitors and those in your industry use.
- Prepare an action plan to implement further internet-based technologies in your business.
As part of your review:
- measure and monitor website and social media results regularly to understand your visitors behaviour
- consider cloud-based record keeping – it provides offsite back-up for all your data and you'll have access to your records wherever you are
- attend a Small Business Victoria online workshop.
Waste in business is a major expense. Reduce waste and you'll also reduce business costs and the impact on the environment. Green products and services also improve your offering to your customers.
How to go green
- Look for simple ways in your business to reduce waste and reduce environmental impact.
- Visit our section on how to create a sustainable business for some great advice and resources.
- Don't forget to let your customers know about your green innovations.
While you're thinking green:
- ask your staff if they can think of ways to reduce environmental impact
- consider engaging an environmental auditor – ask to see a case study on a similar business to yours to check what potential savings and changes can be made.
Prepare or review your emergency plan
Have a plan in place for emergency events and disaster recovery to minimise financial damage caused by an unexpected interruption to trade. A plan can also reassure customers.
How to review your emergency plan
- Research the risks in your area and within your industry.
- Download and complete emergency, contingency and disaster recovery plan templates so your business is well prepared for an emergency crisis event.
When assessing risk and preparing for emergency:
- complete a critical information list so you have all your important information at hand
- prepare separate plans for emergency and disaster recovery
- use the Workplace Emergency Management Manual (WEMM), a simple online tool to help your business create emergency plans
- test your plans regularly – know that everything is covered and you're well prepared.
Want a financial reminder in October?
Sign up for the Small Business Victoria update to receive fortnightly:
- handy financial improvement tasks for October.