On this page
- How to create your own brand positioning statement
- What makes a brand successful?
A brand is more than a logo, advertising slogan or packaging – it also encompasses how you manage your customer relationships, and how you're perceived as a business within your community.
Your reputation both offline and online, your image and the way people remember you are all part of your 'brand' or presentation.
Make every visible aspect of your business fit your brand image, including vehicles, office, warehouse, website, people, uniforms, stationary.
A brand name has value once your business becomes established. The value of a brand is an intangible asset of the business.
Brand positioning describes:
- who your target market segment is
- what the core concept of the brand is
- how this is different from your competitors.
Knowing your brand positioning will make all your marketing decisions easier.
Understand your brand positioning by writing a brand positioning statement. Use the topics and questions below to create your own.
- What does your business do?
- What does your business stand for?
Key message you want to express to customers
- This could be different for different target markets.
Consistency in physical presentation
- Does your logo, website, vehicles and uniforms align with what your business stands for and what it does?
- Do your people all act and behave in an appropriate manner with each other and with customers?
- Do your vehicles and equipment have the appropriate level of cleanliness?
Brand integrity in the way you do business
- Do you guarantee all your work?
- Do you adequately train your staff?
Steps to improve your brand
- Consider relocating to a better location or office.
- Consider increasing the professional development of your people.
- How does your business look from every angle?
- How attractive is your business, and is it appealing to potential customers? This attractiveness can include signage, cleanliness, access, parking and general first impressions.
- Your reputation is your brand – develop an excellent reputation and you'll develop an excellent brand.
- Do you have a great network of clients who are happy to refer you?
Attributes of a successful brand
What makes a brand successful? The following points are attributes of successful brands:
- A reputation for product quality and reliability.
- A reputation for excellent service.
- Known for community involvement.
- An employer of choice.
- Easily recognised and understood.
- Keeping customers informed and responding quickly to customers' needs.
- A trend-setter, and up-to-date with market trend.
- Known as honest and fair.
- Readily accessible products/services.
- All personnel are knowledgeable about the product/service.