On this page
- An effective digital strategy supports your online goals
- Set online goals that are measurable and achievable
Online goals link into your overall marketing objectives and are specifically related to what you want your business to achieve online.
This might include sales from your website and other types of engagement with your website, such as subscription and membership, connections with customers and other businesses, social media engagement, etc.
Your digital strategy ensures your goals are clear and helps you put the right technology and processes in place to support these goals. For example, if your online goals include sales from your website your strategy would cover all aspects of this activity, from the technology (eCommerce platform), to customer service.
Benefits of a digital strategy
A digital strategy aligns your online activities with your business goals and will help you stay on track in this constantly changing environment. A digital strategy will help you:
- stay competitive online
- improve customer service
- help businesses to expand and grow
- improve quality control
- streamline your business
- free you up from process-driven activities
- improve redundancy (disaster recovery)
- increase your customer base
- enable 24/7 sales
- automate aspects of your staff training/induction.
Your digital strategy should always be part of an overall marketing plan. If you don't have one, you can get started on our write a marketing plan page.
How to set online goals
Define online goals with clear timeframes and ways that you can measure the success of your digital strategy. Make your online goals 'SMART Goals' - specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-bound.
Example online goals
These online goals are all measurable. Your own list of online goals will vary depending on your business and what you're trying to achieve, such as:
- setting up a website – three months
- improving your website – conversion optimisation, mobile friendly etc.
- growing online sales by 12 percent
- getting ranked in position 1-3 in Google for five target keywords
- growing your database by 200 subscribers
- building two new connections with other businesses a week.
Turn your goals into action
An action plan is a good way to make your goals turn into reality.
List the tasks that need to be completed for each goal, then assign the task to a person, and set a due date. For each activity or task, write down what you expect it to achieve for your business – this helps you make sure that the activities in your action plan feed directly into improving and growing your business.