Skip to content

Photographers and child employment - full transcript

Accessible transcript of Employing Children video.

On this page

  • Full transcript of Employing Children video

Hi. I'm Umi.

I LOVE having my picture taken. I'm the queen of selfies. See?

As a photographer, if you want to take a photo of moi, you're going to need a permit.

That also means you'll need a Working With Children Check.

That's the same for anyone under 15 years of age, even if it's unpaid work or a one-off.

Why? Because it tells the government that you're doing the right thing by us.

This all comes from the Child Employment Act and the Mandatory Code of Practice for the Employment of Children in Entertainment.

These were both designed to help kids, like me, be able to do the work we love while still being safe and well looked after, and to ensure that our roles
are appropriate and won't cause distress or embarrassment.

Penalties apply if you don't comply.

It would be SO disappointing if we couldn't work together.

The good news is that the changes to be made make it easier and less costly for photographers to comply.

We made sure to focus on people like you and to ask how to improve things. And that's exactly what we did.

There's a new online system for applying for permits. And once you fill it out, the permits are free!

Also, if you need some help, you can always speak to my friends, the Child Employment Officers. They're really smart and will make sure you're seen
in your best light.

Just go to

Or call 1800 278 278

OK, let's get started.