Skip to content

Employing Children in non-entertainment industries- full transcript

Accessible transcript of Employing Children video.

On this page

  • Full transcript of Employing Children video

Hi. I'm Yumi, and I'm here to help you learn a thing or two about the Child Employment Act, and what it means if you're thinking about hiring children.

Take it from me. Working can be fun, but it's important to know the best way to do it.

So, here for your viewing pleasure is Yumi's top tips for employing children in non-entertainment industries.

If you want to employ someone under the age of 15, you must have a Child Employment Permit.

Why? It tells the government that you'll provide a safe work environment and the child will work appropriate hours and be supervised.

It also comes with ongoing responsibilities to make sure everything is in shape at your workplace.

The minimum age for a child to work varies between industries.

To do delivery work, the minimum age is 11. But for other types of work, like retail or hospitality, the minimum age is 13.

Once a child turns 15 years, a permit is no longer required.

Not much longer for me.

You can apply for permits directly on the web, and the best part is they're free.

You'll find them, and everything else you need to know, on the Business Victoria website.

If you need some extra help, you can always speak to my friends - the Child Employment Officers.

They're really smart and will make sure you're well looked after.

Just go to

Or call 1800 278 278

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to talk to my boss about that raise.