On this page
- Watch our videos to help you understand the rules
- Find out how to apply for a permit online or offline
- Download the Mandatory Code of Practice
- Use our offline forms to apply for a permit
- Understand any additional requirements
- Contact a child employment officer for further support and advice
Employing children in industries other than entertainment
Organisations that employ a child for whom a permit is required under the Child Employment Act 2003 are also required to comply with Child Safe Standards.
Visit the Commission for Children and Young People's website for more information.
Checklist: before applying for a permit
Please ensure you understand the laws and requirements around child employment in industries other that entertainment before you begin your application.
It's also important for you to know that:
- all child supervisors must have completed a Working with Children Check (employee type) successfully
- all employers must keep records of employment during the course of the child's employment.
You should also become familiar with the Mandatory Code of Practice which is included in The Guide below:
Did you know you may be eligible for one-on-one support and guidance? Visit our page on the Child Employment Small Business Information Service to find out more.
Online application – Child Employment Portal
We encourage you to utilise the Child Employment Portal – it has many time saving features, and can be used for:
- applying for a normal permit and a blanket permit
- applying for a supplementary permit
- applying for variation of the code
- applying to vary hours of work or rest breaks
- copying an application
- generating parental consent
- accessing additional forms for specific and record keeping requirements.
Keep in mind there may be additional requirements or specific situations that require you to use extra forms that are not included in the online process. You'll find these provided below, or by searching 'Quick Links' within the Child Employment Portal.
If you don't have access to a computer, or are unable to complete the permit application online, you can download our offline application forms and use them instead.
Keep in mind that you'll need to allow more time for your application to be processed if you choose to use the offline forms.
We've provided screen reader friendly word documents for all offline forms – you'll find them listed in the 'Handy tools' section at the bottom of the page.
Application to vary requirements of the Mandatory Code of Practice
The Mandatory Code of Practice for the Employment of Children in Entertainment mandates requirements for the employment of children in entertainment.
These requirements may be varied in some circumstances – and on application in writing.
Please complete this application via the Child Employment Portal if you lodged your initial permit application online.
Contact a child employment officer
For further assistance and advice about employing children in Victoria, get in contact with a child employment officer by calling them on 1800 287 287, or send them an email.
We value your opinion
We welcome any feedback, comments and suggestions you might like to share.
If you own, are looking to purchase, or start a small business with under 20 employees, you may be eligible for our Child Employment Small Business Information Service (CESBIS).
CESBIS offers one-on-one information and advice regarding your responsibilities under the Victoria Child Employment Act.
To access this program, contact the Employment Information and Compliance Unit by giving them a call on 1800 287 287 or sending them an email.
- Log into the Child Employment Portal
- Child Employment Act 2003
- Application for Child Employment Permit (Entertainment) (DOC 355 KB)
- Application for Child Employment Permit (All Industries except Entertainment) (DOC 287 KB)
- Child Employment Information Form (DOC 405 KB)
- Parental Consent to Employment of Child (DOC 295 KB)
- Application for Supplementary Permit (Entertainment) (DOC 522.5 KB)
- Statement by nurse to employer form (DOC 81.5 KB)
- Parental advice form (DOC 89.5 KB)
- Video resources
- Child Employment Small Business Information Service