On this page
- Watch our videos to help you understand the rules
- Use our checklist before applying for a permit
- Download the Mandatory Code of Practice
- Find out about the Child Employment Portal
- Find out how to apply for a permit online or offline
- Access additional forms for specific situations and record keeping requirements
Organisations that employ a child for whom a permit is required under the Child Employment Act 2003 are also required to comply with Child Safe Standards.
Visit the Commission for Children and Young People's website for more information.
Employing children in the entertainment industry – an overview
Apply for a permit
Checklist: before applying for a permit
Please ensure that you understand the child employment laws and requirements prior to applying for a permit, and:
- all child supervisors have completed a Working with Children Check successfully
- all employers keep proper records of child employment during the course of employment
- parents and guardians have been provided with a copy of child employment in the entertainment industry: summary for parents.
You should also become familiar with the Mandatory Code of Practice which is included in The Guide below:
Did you know you may be eligible for one-on-one support and guidance? Visit our page on the Child Employment Small Business Information Service to find out more.
3 business day minimum permit applications
Child employment permit applications and support documents must be lodged a minimum of 72 hours (3 business days)* prior to a child commencing work. Applications received outside of this time frame will be refused.
Application assessments may take longer than 72 hours depending on numbers of children, complexity and demand. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible.
*unless subject to prior agreement with child employment
Online application - Child Employment Portal
We encourage you to utilise the Child Employment Portal – it has many time saving features, and can be used for:
- applying for a normal permit and a blanket permit
- applying for a supplementary permit
- applying for variation of the code
- applying to vary hours of work or rest breaks
- copying an application
- generating parental consent
- accessing additional forms for specific and record keeping requirements.
Keep in mind that there may be additional requirements or specific situations that require you to use extra forms that are not included in the online process. You'll find these provided below, or by searching 'Quick Links' within the Child Employment Portal.
The Child Employment Portal is fast and easy to use – simply create an account using your email address, and choose a password.
What records am I required to keep?
Visit our page on how to keep proper records of employment for further information.
If you don't have access to a computer, or are unable to complete the application online, download the offline application forms here:
Keep in mind that you'll need to allow more time for your application to be processed if you choose to use the offline form
We've provided screen reader friendly word documents for all offline forms – you'll find them listed in the 'Handy tools' section at the bottom of the page.
Situation specific requirements
Employing a baby less than 12 weeks of age for more than an hour
Employing a baby less than 12 weeks of age for less than an hour
Application to vary requirements of the Mandatory Code of Practice
The Mandatory Code of Practice for the Employment of Children in Entertainment mandates requirements for the employment of children in entertainment.
These requirements may be varied in some circumstances – and on application in writing.
Please complete this application using the Child Employment Portal if your initial application was lodged online.
Contact a child employment officer
For further assistance and advice about employing children in Victoria, get in contact with a child employment officer by calling them on 1800 287 287, or send them an email.
We value your opinion
We welcome any feedback, comments and suggestions you might like to share.
If you own, are looking to purchase, or start a small business with under 20 employees, you may be eligible for our Child Employment Small Business Information Service (CESBIS).
CESBIS offers one-on-one information and advice regarding your responsibilities under the Victoria Child Employment Act.
To access this program, contact the Employment Information and Compliance Unit by giving them a call on 1800 287 287 or sending them an email.
- Log into the Child Employment Portal
- Child Employment Act 2003
- Application for Child Employment Permit (Entertainment) (DOC 355 KB)
- Application for Child Employment Permit (All Industries except Entertainment) (DOC 287 KB)
- Child Employment Information Form (DOC 405 KB)
- Parental Consent to Employment of Child (DOC 295 KB)
- Application for Supplementary Permit (Entertainment) (DOC 522.5 KB)
- Statement by nurse to employer form ( 0 KB)
- Parental advice form (DOC 89.5 KB)
- Video resources
- Child Employment Small Business Information Service