The Upskill and Invest – Young Farmers Scholarship Program will provide young farmers and those who work directly on farm with up to $5,000 towards training or study (Upskill), backed by further funds (up to $5,000) to invest on-farm or in professional development (Invest), putting new skills into practice. Each year, 10-15 scholarships will be available for young farmers aged 35 or under.
The scholarship program is designed to be flexible, to fit with the demands and ambitions of young farmers. The Upskill and Invest Scholarship Program provides young farmers and those who work directly on farm with an opportunity to invest in themselves and their career.
Read the program guidelines for further information.
At a glance
The Upskill and Invest - Young Farmers Scholarship Program will provide young farmers and those who work directly on farm with up to $5,000 (exclusive of GST) towards training or study (Upskill), backed by further funds (up to $5,000 exclusive of GST) to invest on-farm or in professional development (Invest), putting new skills into practice.
Applicants must be aged 35 years or under at the time of the application close date, be working in a farm business in Victoria at least 3 days per week for the past 3 months, have at least 2 years of total experience on-farm and be an Australian citizen or permanent resident currently residing in Victoria.
To be eligible for the scholarship applicants must:
- be aged 35 years or under at the time of the application close date
- be working in a farm business in Victoria at least three days per week for the past three months
- have at least two years of total experience on-farm
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident currently residing in Victoria.
What you need to have before applying checklist:
- proof of your age and residency (e.g. copy of birth certificate, drivers licence or passport)
- proof of nationality or status as a permanent resident (e.g. copy of birth certificate, passport)
- proof of employment or business ownership (e.g. a letter from your employer, provision of employer contact details and/or Business Activity Statement (BAS), evidence of purchase of business).
Responsiblity of scholarships recipients
Young Farmer Upskill and Invest Scholarship recipients are required to:
- manage all aspects of their scholarship independently (this includes Upskill and Invest activities)
- complete the full study plan and timelines as proposed in their application
- expend the Invest funds in line with the proposal approved in writing by the Department
- notify the Department in writing of any change to contact details.
After the completion of the Program are required to participate in:
- evaluation surveys provided by the Department
- potential Victorian Government activities to promote the Program
What do I get?
Scholarship funds (up to $5,000) can be used to meet the cost of study at a university, a registered training organisation, or another quality training provider approved through the application process (Upskill). Completion of study or training will unlock further funds (up to $5,000) to invest in activities that will support application of learnings from the chosen study or training (Invest). This may include professional development, farm planning or other on-farm activities.
Scholarship recipients will also receive ongoing opportunities for long-term networking and support through the Young Farmers Scholarship Alumni. Please see the full set of program guidelines for guidance on the types of study or training that will be supported, and a list of possible Invest activities.
For release of funds to undertake chosen Upskill activities (up to $5,000) scholarship recipients will be asked to:
- provide evidence of acceptance and enrolment at their chosen institution(s) (for example, a letter from the institution)
- provide invoice of tuition fees from the training provider
- provide an Australian Business Number (ABN) on a tax invoice to the value of the tuition fees charged by the training provider (up to a maximum of $5,000); OR include a completed Statement by a Supplier form (see the Goods and Services Tax section below for further information)
- sign a formal Letter of Agreement with the Department.
Individuals that are successful in obtaining a scholarship and who are eligible for the Victorian Training Guarantee, or any other form of government funding, in association with the training approved through the application process, will be provided with funds that cover any out-of-pocket expenses charged by the training provider. Recipients will be required to provide a copy of the invoice of fees from the training provider.
For release of the Invest funds scholarship recipients will be required to:
- provide proof of completion from the Upskill activities
- proof of purchase/cost of investment of the Invest activities (for example, receipt).
As soon as the above requirements are met, scholarship recipients will receive payment via electronic funds transfer to a nominated bank account.
*Payment may take up to 4 weeks to process.
Tips and hints
Applicants should demonstrate a clear link between the skills acquired through the Upskill activity and the Invest activity. Study or training in the areas of business planning and management, risk management and financial literacy are encouraged.
How to apply
Applications are now closed.