The Local Industry Fund for Transition (LIFT) is part of the Victorian Government’s Towards Future Industries: Victoria’s Automotive Transition Plan, which aims to support workers, communities and businesses affected by the closure of large scale passenger manufacturing in the State. LIFT aims to create sustainable jobs and contribute to the economic development of Melbourne's North, West and South-East and the Geelong Region. This will be achieved through supporting capital investment by businesses located, or wishing to locate, operations in these areas to build each region’s economic base and create sustainable jobs.
Up to $2 million is available to support job creating projects in Melbourne's North, West and South-East and the Geelong Region.
At a glance
Grants of up to 25 per cent of eligible project expenditure, with a maximum grant of $2 million.
To be eligible for assistance, applicants must have the following:
- an Australian Company Number (ACN)
- an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- financial capacity to meet the co-contribution requirement ($3 for every $1 granted)
- financial reports for the last three financial years to enable the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (the Department) to conduct a financial risk assessment (FRA).
Case Study - Helping a company invest in Melbourne's North
Broadmeadows-based Prydes Confectionery received a LIFT grant to undertake a $4 million expansion to improve production, and increase its domestic and export turnover. It will also take on 50 new workers – with 11 positions identified for auto workers.
Here’s their story:
The following are not eligible to apply:
- individuals, partnerships, or trusts, however an incorporated trustee can apply on behalf of a trust provided that the State is satisfied that the incorporated trustee will remain sufficiently liable for the performance or any agreement it signs
- Commonwealth, State and Local Government agencies and bodies
- publicly funded research institutions
- not-for-profit organisations
- community-based organisations.
What you need to do before applying
Please ensure you have read the Program Guidelines and understand the program requirements before submitting a response.
Applicants are also expected to adhere to the following:
Skills and Job Centres
Applicants will be expected to work with the Skills and Job Centres to implement strategies that maximise the number of retrenched automotive workers that will transition to their project prior to submitting applications. Applicants to LIFT-Geelong will also need to consider workers retrenched due to the closure of Alcoa’s Point Henry and Anglesea operations.
Skills and Job Centres must be contacted to discuss business requirements and match skill sets regarding the potential project's creation of new jobs. Attached is a list of the Skills and Job Centres locations (DOCX 31.92 KB) and further detail is provided on the Skills and Job Centres website.
Victorian Industry Participation Policy
Successful applicants will be required to adhere to the Victorian Government’s Victorian Industry Participation Policy (VIPP) where the amount of the grant awarded is:
- $3 million or more for a Project in Metropolitan Melbourne or State Wide; or
- $1 million or more for a Project in Rural and Regional Victoria.
What you get
LIFT will support capital investment by local firms or by businesses wishing to set-up or expand operations in the communities most affected by the closure of the major car manufacturers.
LIFT comprises four sub-funds covering the geographical areas of:
- LIFT Geelong – Local Government Areas of Colac-Otway, Golden Plains, Greater Geelong, Queenscliff and Surf Coast
- LIFT Melbourne’s North – Local Government Areas of Darebin, Hume, Moreland and Whittlesea
- LIFT Melbourne’s South East – Local Government Areas of Greater Dandenong, Kingston, Casey, Frankston, Knox, Monash, Whitehorse, Maroondah, Cardinia and Yarra Ranges
- LIFT Melbourne’s West – Local Government Areas of Wyndham, Melton, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Brimbank and Moonee Valley
Proposed projects will be assessed against the following merit criteria:
- level of job creation
- level of net economic benefit
- demonstrated skills, experience and resources available to the business to successfully undertake the project
- sustainability of the project and need for Government support.
Preference will be given to projects that create jobs for local workers facing retrenchment due to the closure of automotive manufacturing operations. In the case of LIFT-Geelong, preference will also be given to projects that create jobs for workers retrenched due to the closure of Alcoa’s Point Henry and Angelsea operations.
Applicants will need to outline the expected returns from the investment, including jobs and other economic benefits. Projects with total eligible expenditure of less than $200,000 will not be considered for this program.
Up to $2 million is available to support job creating projects in Melbourne's North, West and South-East and the Geelong Region. The minimum grant amount is $50,000.
Tips and hints
Funding will only be provided to meet a successful applicant’s eligible expenditure on the approved project.
- direct labour costs incurred on employees directly employed on implementing and/or commissioning the agreed project
- purchase of equipment or machinery to assist business establishment or expansion (including for example, second hand or repurposed automotive manufacturing equipment)
- construction or fit-out of a new building or extension to existing premises
- associated project management costs.
Project funding can only be used to employ the following categories of people: permanent resident of Australia, citizen of Australia or New Zealand, or spouse of an Australian permanent resident or citizen (e.g. visa subclass 300, 309). Project activities are to be completed within 18 months of the date of the Grant Agreement.
How to apply
Potential applicants are encouraged to consider carefully their ability to meet the program requirements and how they will perform against the assessment criteria before committing significant resources to developing an application. To find out more about the key selection criteria and how to apply refer to the Program Guidelines and Factsheet. Applications are assessed against the key selection criteria.
Read the below documents before applying.
For more information about LIFT Geelong, please call (03) 5215 6000.
There is a two-stage application process:
- Expression of interest (EOI), followed by
- an invitation by the Department to submit a formal application.
EOIs can be submitted at any time. Apply for an EOI using the buttons below.
To get the best results, get in touch with the Business Victoria hotline on 13 22 15
Email us or contact your local Victorian Government business representative.