The grant covers eligible expenses including a contribution towards airfares and accommodation. Where applicable, it also covers the cost of conference entry, non-confidential pitching documents and presentation materials, the exhibition stand and other promotional costs.
The TRIP – BST Program is currently suspended to new applications until further notice. Applications already submitted will be processed as normal. Please check back to this website for updated information.
At a glance
Potential grant funding
Covers expenses to attend overseas conferences, trade events and meetings, ranging from $2,500 to $10,000. In some cases only 50% of eligible expenses can be claimed.
EligibilityVictorian companies with less than 200 employees whose main business activities are biotechnology and small technology. Companies from other sectors considering adopting industrial biotechnology or small technologies will be considered. Victorian based industry associations servicing biotechnology and small technology are also eligible.
- Pre Application
- Submit Application At least 14 days prior to event
- Application Review
- Application Results You will recieve an email within 10 working days
- Submit claim form Within 6 weeks of attending the event
To get the best results, get in touch with Business Victoria on 13 22 15.
Eligibility criteriaYou are eligible if your business:
- is an incorporated commercial entity based and headquartered in Victoria
- employs below 200 employees in Victoria where principal business activities are in biotechnology and small technology
- engages in R&D and/or development of products or services in Victoria
- is able to lodge a complete application at least two weeks prior to the event and provide all claim documentation within six weeks after the event.
You are not eligible if your business:
- is a wholly owned subsidiary of a foreign company
- is an academic and research institution, distributor or other service provider. Service providers that offer ancillary business services to companies, where those ancillary services are not specific to the industry (e.g. legal and accounting services).
Companies must declare that alternative funding for the same expenses has not been sought or obtained.
What you need to have before applying checklist
Financial grant application
- complete a Project Plan outlining how attendance will achieve market outcomes
- completed Statutory Declaration. The template is available online once you submit the Application Form
- copy of your Certificate of Registration of a Company/Business Name
- samples of specific presentation/promotional materials for the event.
One of the following must also be submitted, depending on the type of attendance
- conference participants - samples of any promotional materials prepared for the conference you are attending
- trade events - samples of promotional materials prepared for the trade event you are attending (Promotional materials may include fliers, CD-ROMs, power point presentations or draft materials)
- conference presenters - samples of presentation materials (e.g. speaking notes, conference program). Companies presenting to investors at a conference must also provide presentation materials and/or a copy of the non-confidential pitching document
- regulatory meeting - verification of meeting (e.g. email verifying meeting date and location, and contact details of regulatory representative).
You will need to keep evidence from your trip in order to claim. The claim must be submitted less than six weeks after returning. See the Claim your payment page for more detail.
- valid tax invoice* (on your company letterhead) which includes the name of your company, your ABN and is addressed to the Department of State Development, Business and Innovation
- copies of your airline ticket/boarding passes and receipt of payment
- entry badge from the Exhibition attended
- expenses report completed using the TRIP Program Expenses Report Template which must have your company letterhead, your signature then scanned if sending electronically
- copies of receipts (showing actual payment for the amount you are claiming. If you are claiming a grant as an exhibitor you must also include copies of exhibition costs incurred in your name).
Supporting documentation can be electronic or hard copy versions. If you wish to attach your supporting documents to the claim form, have each requirement saved as a (PDF) file attachment and ready to go before you start.
If you wish to complete the claim form but send electronic versions at a later time, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org and quote you claim form receipt number.
*A valid invoice must include a description including the name of the recipient and the address, the name and date of the trade event and the grant category. For example: Grant for OFC 2012, 7-9 November 2012. Networker category. The invoice should specify the grant amount claimed plus the GST amount with a total figure and should have the words 'Tax Invoice' prominently stated.
What you get
|Type of grant
||Grant amount (excl. GST)
||A person representing an eligible company attending an international conference held overseas.
||Recovery of eligible expenses up to a maximum of $2,500.
|Conference Presenter or Investment Pitch.
||A person representing an eligible company presenting or making a pitch at an international conference or forum held overseas.
||Recovery of eligible expenses up to a maximum of $3,000.
|Meeting with Regulatory Authority.
||A person representing an eligible company attending a meeting with an international regulatory authority overseas.
||Recovery of eligible expenses up to a maximum of $2,500.
|Exhibitor in a Shared Stand.
||An eligible company that shares an exhibition stand with a co-exhibitor at an international exhibition held overseas. A co-exhibitor may be a Victorian or multinational company, an industry association, an educational institution or an Australian government agency.
||50 percent recovery of eligible expenses, up to a maximum of $4,000.
||An eligible company exhibiting in a non-shared stand at an international exhibition held overseas.
||50 percent recovery of eligible expenses, up to a maximum of $8,000
|First Time Sole Exhibitor
||An eligible company that has never accessed the program and is exhibiting in a non-shared stand at an international exhibition held overseas.
The first time sole exhibitor grant provides incentive for Victorian companies to exhibit internationally and assistance to develop promotional materials.
|50 percent recovery of eligible expenses, up to a maximum of $10,000
Don't forget that:
- eligible Victorian companies can receive up to three grants in a financial year. Only one grant per company per overseas trip is permitted, regardless of the number of employees attending each trip
- all information must be submitted each time a company applies for a grant.
What to include in the project plan
Inform – What skills and knowledge will the company acquire at the event to help the business be more competitive?
Develop – What development goals will be achieved as a result of attendance at the event?
Connect – What connections will occur as a result of attendance at the event?
Adopt – How will adoption of new technology enhance competitiveness?
How to apply
Financial grant application
Begin the online application by clicking the button below.
If you are not a Business Victoria registered user, you will be directed to create a username and password when you 'Save as draft' or 'Submit' the application form. There is no requirement to login or create an account prior to completing the application form.
If you are an existing Business Victoria registered user, you will be directed to enter your username and password when you 'Save as draft' or 'Submit' the application. Your applications will be available on the My Grants and Assistance page.
Send all supporting documentation including Project Plan - details at end of the application form - at least two weeks prior to the trade event or conference or regulatory meeting.
Please note: Late applications will not be processed. Your application is not considered complete until all supporting documentation has been provided.
A receipt will be emailed to your nominated email address after you have completed the online submission. Please print this email, and include it with your supporting documentation.
Claiming a payment
Submit your claim form online. Photocopies can be mailed for all documents except the expenses report and tax invoices, which must be originals. To ensure that documentation is received you are advised to use registered mail and keep the receipt.
Please mail to:
The Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR)
TRIP Program - Biotechnology & Small Technology
GPO Box 4509
Melbourne VIC 3000
You need to complete and submit this Claim form and all required information within six weeks of attending the event. Claims received after this time will not be considered, even if the application had been received and accepted.
You should receive an email within 14-21 working days of submitting all your paperwork advising of the status of the claim. If approved, you can expect payment within a month of approval.
A condition of receiving payment is completing evaluation data in the post-event claim form. Evaluations will also take place 12 months after the event. These post-event surveys will take no more than 10 minutes to complete.
The information collected is required as part of the Victorian Government's financial support program and will be provided to the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR), to assist in determining how its programs assist Victorian businesses.
Program contactsTel: (+61 3) 9651 9016 or (+61 3) 9655 1066
- Read the Victorian Government ICT Strategy