On this page
- Rates and costs schedules
Operating costs of an owner driver businessRates and costs schedules set out the typical operating costs of an owner driver business. These include variable costs when operating the vehicle including fuel and tyres and fixed costs including registration, finance, administration and insurance. The schedules also set out the rates that would typically apply for the driver’s own labour, if work was performed as an employee.
Owner drivers can use the schedule to gain a better understanding of:
- the factors that affect operating cost items
- the market for transport services
- the amount that they could expect to earn as an employee driver for the same kind of work.
Hirer obligationsHirers are required to provide owner drivers with the rates and cost schedule that most closely relates to the owner driver's vehicle.
The relevant schedule must be given:
- at least three business days before the owner driver is engaged, if the owner driver is to be engaged for a period of at least 30 days; or
- on the thirtieth day, if the owner driver is engaged for a total period of at least 30 days in any three month period.
Learn more about your legal obligations to provide the applicable rates and costs schedule to an owner driver.