On this page
- What's not allowed in your business name
- Research if the name you want is available
- Register your business name
- Protect your business name
Research your name
Choose an effective business name
Your business name is a major element of your identity and image. Your business name should:
- be memorable
- be easy to pronounce and spell
- be original and not similar to existing business names, company names or trademarks
- be appropriate, professional and not offensive
- be short
- be descriptive and functional (e.g.Marketing Results) or new and quirky (e.g. Google).
Personal namesYou can choose to use your personal name for your business. If you are using your personal name (e.g. Jane Smith) as a business name, there's no need to register it. However, if your want to call your business 'Jane Smith & Co', this would need to be registered, as '& Co' is not part of your personal name.
Check if the name you want to register is available
Search both the business names register, and company and other registers on the ASIC Connect website to confirm your name's availability.
If you are planning on having a website you should also check MyWebname to see if your business name can be registered as a website (domain) name.
As registering a business name does not automatically give you rights to the trademark, you should also search the Australian Trade Marks Online Search System (ATMOSS) to confirm that your business name is not already registered as a trade mark.
Apply to register your business nameBefore registering your business name, you need to have an Australian Business Number (ABN). If you don't have one, you need to apply for it through the Australian Business Register.
Set up your account with ASIC to register your business name on the ASIC Connect homepage. Follow through on the steps to register your business name.
Protect your name
Make sure you protect your business name or idea, including trademarking - registering your business name does not give you full rights over the name.
Cancelling a business name?
You will need to apply to cancel your business name with ASIC.
Case study: Get the business basics right
'Make sure you set up systems, particularly financial systems, in the early stages of operating your business. It's not worth it getting caught out.'
Adam Ferrante, Rose St Artists' Market
Workshops and seminars
- Budgeting & Forecasting seminar2014-09-02T08:00:00.000Z, Keilor, $20.00
- Budgeting and Forecasting seminar2014-09-03T08:00:00.000Z, Camberwell, $20.00
- Marketing Basics for Not for Profit Organisations seminar2014-09-04T06:30:00.000Z, Wantirna South, $20.00
- Budgeting & Forecasting for Not for Profit Organisations seminar2014-09-04T09:00:00.000Z, Wantirna South, $20.00
- Marketing Basics seminar2014-09-09T08:00:00.000Z, Hamilton, $20.00
- Know Your Market2014-09-09T08:00:00.000Z, Camberwell, Free
- Business Planning Basics seminar2014-09-09T23:30:00.000Z, Ringwood, $20.00
- Marketing for Growth workshop2014-09-10T02:30:00.000Z, Melbourne, $30.00
- Marketing for Growth workshop2014-09-10T08:00:00.000Z, Cheltenham, $30.00
- Business Planning Basics seminar2014-09-10T08:00:00.000Z, Greensborough, $20.00
- Marketing Basics seminar2014-09-10T09:00:00.000Z, Selby, $20.00
- Improving Cashflow and Profitability seminar2014-09-10T23:30:00.000Z, Geelong, $20.00
- How to drive change and improve the culture at the shop floor level: manufacturing focus2014-09-11T08:00:00.000Z, Frankston, $40.00
- Networking Luncheon with Holly Ransom2014-09-12T02:30:00.000Z, Mildura, $40.00
- Business Networking seminar2014-09-15T09:00:00.000Z, Korumburra, $20.00