On this page
- Find programs to help measure, track and reduce your resource use
- Know what help is available to manage and reduce waste
- Get ideas to start being more sustainable
If you want to cut your energy and water use, as well as your waste, the good news is you don't have to do it on your own.
Assess your business energy, water and waste use
Measure, track and reduce resource use and waste production using the online program Grow Me The Money. It offers self-assessment and support and members will get an action plan to carry out the required changes. There are also schemes to help you manage specific energy, water and waste problems.
Reduce energy use
CitySwitch Green Office is a free service to support businesses trying to improve office energy efficiency. Fill out the Energy Action Plan to audit and track your resource use, your attempts to reduce use and any issues you have with your landlord.
Reduce water use
To perform a water audit, or if you're planning to reuse or recycle water, visit:
- EPA Victoria reusing and recycling water for ideas and frameworks to reduce water use and generate less wastewater.
Reduce and manage waste
To handle and recycle your waste access help from:
- Recycling Near You to search for local recycling information
- Waste Wise program to assess your waste production. It also helps you develop a waste reduction plan. Find out more by contacting the local Waste Management Group in your area.
How can I get started on being more sustainable?
Additional ways to plan and introduce sustainable practices in your business include:
- reading the advice on your council, energy or water retailer's website
- hiring a professional for a detailed environmental analysis, simply visit the Australian Institute of Refrigeration, Airconditioning and Heating (AIRAH) website for a list of accredited energy auditors. The audit can involve a complete assessment, or help with just one aspect e.g. thermal performance assessment or refrigeration and air conditioning assessment
- contacting your industry association to find out if an active sustainability related project exists, or be the one to start a project for your industry
- investigating what grants and assistance are available in Victoria for your industry e.g. Re-Tooling for Climate Change is a grant for small to medium sized manufacturers to reduce their environmental footprint by improving the energy or water efficiency of their production processes.