On this page
- What are e-business and m-business platforms?
- Tips to help you decide which platform to use
- Selling online without a website
More and more people are turning to the internet to buy products. The process of accepting payments online is often referred to as eCommerce, and includes:
- online donations
- invoice payments
- gift certificates.
The prevalence of smartphone usage means that accepting mobile payments (m-commerce) is also becoming popular. If you're looking to sell products online, you need to choose the right e-business platform for your business.
What is an e-business platform?
E-business platforms provide businesses with software and links allowing customers to:
- see and select products for watch or purchase
- place these products in a 'wish list' or shopping cart
- order the products in the shopping cart and provide delivery instructions
- pay for these products through an online payment facility using direct debit or credit card.
Cyber security aware consumers are becoming more reluctant to give businesses credit card details online, and prefer to utilise secure online payment facilities (such as PayPal and SecurePay – a business of Australia Post), where money's transferred from customer to online seller – without the customer needing to provide credit card details.
Both of these facilities can be linked to your business website for customer payments.
e-Business platform tips
When you're deciding which e-business platform is best for you, consider the following:
- How do your customers typically like to pay and what platforms might they be familiar with?
- What fees are charged, and do these fees include ongoing monthly fees and per-transaction charges (flat rate or a percentage)?
- How easy it is for you to set up the platform on your existing website, and what it will look like?
Selling without a website
Want to sell online but don’t have an existing business website? Australia Post’s My Online Shop is a step-by-step product for setting up an online store.Your business will need to be registered with SecurePay in order to accept credit card payments. Payments can also be made via PayPal, direct debit account and cheque.