On this page
- Information about changes to The Mandatory Code of Practice for the Employment of Children in Entertainment
- Check out our latest video
- Order a printed copy of The Guide to the Employment of Children in Entertainment
Improvements to the Mandatory Code of Practice for the Employment of Children in the Entertainment Industry
To read a text transcript of the video content, click here.
The Mandatory Code of Practice for the Employment of Children in Entertainment (the Code), sets out legal requirements for employing children under 15 in entertainment and related industries.
Even if you are familiar with the Code there is a range of improvements you need to know about so you can continue to comply with your obligations. If you are not familiar with the code, read the fact sheets below for more information.
The changes to the Code are based on extensive consultation with employers, children’s advocates and others involved in the employment of children in the entertainment industry. They make it easier and less costly for employers to comply, while ensuring that children’s health, safety, education and moral and material welfare are protected.
To make it even easier to apply and comply, the Victorian Government has established a new, streamlined online system for lodging permit applications.
Major changes at a glance
- CODE INFORMATION TO PARENTS
- FOOD AND DRINK
- RECREATION FACILITIES
- PROTECTION FROM THE ELEMENTS
- MEDICAL ISSUES
- CALCULATION OF EMPLOYMENT TIME
- MAXIMUM DAILY HOURS/DAYS OF EMPLOYMENT IN ANY WEEK
- MAXIMUM WEEKLY EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT HOURS
- VARIATION TO HOURS OF WORK
- WHEN TUTORING IS TO BE PROVIDED
Changes are effective 13 October 2014 and are detailed in the fact sheets below.
Quick and easy fact sheets
Use these great fact sheets to find more details about the changes that will affect you. Accessible versions of all documents are available in the handy tools section at the bottom of this page.
Request a copy of The GuideOrder a printed copy of The Guide to the Employment of Children in Entertainment in Victoria, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fact sheet 1 - Introduction to the Code (DOC 44.5 KB)
- Fact sheet 2 - Improvements to the Code (DOC 26.5 KB)
- Fact sheet 3 - Risk management (DOCX 15.38 KB)
- Fact sheet 4 - Guide for employers (DOCX 18.4 KB)
- Fact sheet 5 - Summary of the code for parents (DOCX 18.84 KB)
- The Guide to the Employment of Children in the Victorian Entertainment Industry (DOCX 86.82 KB)
- Video resources