Skip to content

Licences and Concessions

Find out which goods require a licence to export from Australia.

On this page

  • Which goods are prohibited from export
  • Concessions available to importers

Exports Licences 

You no longer require a licence to export most goods from Australia.

The export of protected wildlife, heritage items, weapons and dangerous goods is prohibited. Some other categories require the issuing of export licences, from the  Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (Customs).

These include:

  • certain primary products e.g. meat, wheat and wine
  • materials covered by international agreements e.g. uranium
  • products where quality needs to be controlled
  • Australian fauna and items of cultural significance
  • resources such as certain minerals and merino sheep.

You may not export these goods or load them for transportation unless Customs has given approval to export by means of a "cleared" Export Declaration Number (EDN).


Australian authorities administer a number of schemes which allow you to import goods at free or concessional rates and to defer payment of duty. These include:

  • Duty drawback scheme - Administered by the Australian Customs Service. It enables exporters to obtain refunds of customs duties paid on imported goods where those goods are to be reprocessed into other goods for export or are re-exported unused.
  • Tradex scheme - Administered by It allows duty drawback users to gain up-front exemption from import duties on goods imported for re-export either in original or modified form. Tradex has no requirement for goods to undergo processing in Australia.

Further information is available from the Australian Customs Service and Tradex Scheme.