On this page
- Develop your bushfire response and emergency plan
- Stay informed
As a business owner it is your responsibility to make sure you, your staff and clients are safe in the event of a fire.
Create a bushfire response and emergency plan
A clear and concise bushfire response and emergency plan that your staff know how to use will go a long way to making sure they are safe.
You will need:
- to prepare your business premise to reduce fire risk
- an emergency kit which includes first-aid and supplies for up to three days. Make sure employees know where it is
- staff who have first-aid qualifications and train further staff if needed
- a list of contact details for staff members, including their emergency contact person Use our Staff details form (DOC 53 KB). Once you have filled in these documents, store them electronically, e.g. Dropbox.
Visit Victoria has a Tourism Business Fire Ready Kit.
Your plan should include the following:
- who will be in charge during a fire or an evacuation
- evacuation routes and emergency assembly sites. Make sure to include routes and information for special needs and culturally and linguistically diverse groups, including visitors or tourists
- how and who will communicate with employees and visitors during a fire
- how and who will check that records and other business assets are safe
- a plan for pay entitlements and leave arrangements for employees should they be stood down or told not to report to work because of a fire threat (and let them know in advance).
If you live in any at-risk area, join your local Community Fireguard group or attend a Fire Ready meeting in your local community.
Stay informed download the fire ready app on your mobile devices
Case Study: Recovering after a bushfire
'We were very lucky to have comprehensive insurance. Particularly as a new business it can sometimes be hard to get business insurance without being able to prove establishment and stability. Without our cover, it really would have been 50:50 if we could have kept on going.'
Kerrie Livingstone, Crumbs Gourmet Biscuits
Read more about Recovering after a bushfire.